Six Home Cleaning Tips To Mitigate COVID-19
With the kids home from school and more and more people working remotely keeping your home clean and disinfecting areas of your house can assist your home not only remain comfortable but also potentially mitigate the spread of the virus. To assist you in planning here are six tips for cleaning and disinfecting your home.
- If surfaces are dirty, they should be cleaned using a detergent or soap and water prior to disinfection.
- For disinfection, diluted household bleach solutions, alcohol solutions with at least 70% alcohol, and most common EPA-registered household disinfectants should be effective.
- If you’re cleaning with household bleach you can prepare a solution by mixing:
- 5 tablespoons (1/3rd cup) bleach per gallon of water or
- 4 teaspoons bleach per quart of water
- Clean all high-touch surfaces every day such as door handles, phones, remote controls, light switches and bathroom fixtures.
- Clean horizontal surfaces every day such as countertops, kitchen tables, desktops and other places where cough droplets could land frequently.
- Your cell phone is like a “third hand”, clean with alcohol daily.
All of the tips were gathered from the CDC and NPR, you can find a full breakdown here: